Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Swim training: fear, anxiety...success!


So I finally went swimming tonight! After a few weeks of talking about how I should go, and could go, I finally went, with my triathlon training buddies Shauna and Elisha. Never underestimate the power of training buddies!

I was initially a bit fearful and anxious, partly because I haven't swam in five months, and partly because this wasn't going to be just a few casual laps...we were going to "swim training!" This meant that we were going to be following a pre-planned program, alongside many skilled swimmers, with the assistance of a coach.

However, when we got to the pool, I have to say the prospect of just doing some prescribed laps was far less daunting than when I had done the swim leg of my last triathlon in the very same pool about five years ago. I wasn't going to be racing tonight, just training!

I was also worried that I'd be the slowest person in the pool, but I wasn't, this time anyway! The workout we followed was actually quite manageable, even in the 50m pool. The coach stopped me at one point to talk about my arms, and ask why I was using a dramatic "S" curve under the water. I'd been coached to do that in the past, and it was just the way I knew how to swim! He got me to try using my arms in a straighter position instead, and it gave me a lot more power. Coming to swim training was worth it just for that learning point alone!

We did 1500m of swimming in total tonight, and I felt really good for most of it. The final 400m was with swim fins on, and that was fun and fast...until I got a serious leg cramp in about the final 25m, so I had to swim in kicking only one leg - quite the sight I'm sure!

I kept saying to myself throughout the afternoon that going to swim training tonight was going to be my, "Do one thing everyday that scares you" event. Well, it didn't scare me as much once I got going, that is for sure! I'm glad I took that step outside my comfort zone in the name of progress. I am looking forward to swimming again next week!

And once again, in regards to my training buddies, in the words of the musical group The Wanted, "I'm glad you came!"

No comments:

Post a Comment